Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- Faith leaders and government officials held a news conference in Detroit to condemn flyers that were found in the city and that encourage violence against Muslims.
- Parties to a suit accusing the NYPD of unconstitutionally infiltrating Muslim organizations in New Jersey after the September 11 attacks appear to have reached a settlement.
- A commissioned Air Force officer who was disciplined for refusing to sign a “certificate of appreciation” for another officer’s same-sex spouse because he claimed it would violate his religious beliefs has won his appeal.
- The New Jersey Assembly is considering a bill that would limit the right of parents to opt their children out of required vaccinations for religious reasons.
- Legal pressure from competing groups supporting and opposing a cross monument in a Michigan town resulted in the end of its display, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene in a case filed by supporters of the monument.