Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- The U.S. has officially opened its embassy in Jerusalem; at the same time, ongoing Palestinian protests at the border between Gaza and Israel have left dozens dead.
- A chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations is suing a California police department after male sheriff’s deputies allegedly forcibly removed a Muslim woman’s hijab.
- After Pope Francis backtracked on critical comments regarding an alleged serial child abuser priest in Chile, new allegations of abuse surfaced involving the Marist order in that country.
- A Muslim family in Indonesia who appeared normal to their neighbors carried out a series of suicide attacks targeting Christians; the Islamic State has claimed responsibility.
- In light of the Supreme Court’s decision in the Trinity Lutheran case, the Education Department is revising its guidelines regarding public aid to religious schools.