Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- An intermediate state appellate court in Oregon has upheld a $135,000 penalty imposed on Christian bakers who refused to bake a custom wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
- A town in New Hampshire has replaced a destroyed Ten Commandments monument, but it will also briefly display an atheist flag alongside it because of a unique compromise.
- A suicide bomber who was possibly a member of the Taliban in Afghanistan has killed 17 civilians attending a funeral; the attack comes on the heels of an Islamic State suicide bombing in Kabul that left another 41 people dead.
- 11 Christians were killed by a gunman in Egypt, fueling fear among the community in advance of celebrations set to occur on January 7.
- Civilians and police have been killed in ongoing anti-government protests in Iran.