Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- A disgraced Air Force veteran is suspected to be the man who killed 26 members of a rural Christian church in Texas.
- The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a national secular advocacy group, is challenging an Iowa city’s police chaplaincy program.
- Members of Georgetown’s Student Activities Commission voted not to recommend that a student group that promotes the Catholic Church’s teachings on marriage be sanctioned, although the students who made the application for sanctions have said they will appeal.
- The Fourth Circuit is deciding whether to hold an en banc rehearing after being asked to reconsider a controversial decision by a panel of the Circuit in which two judges held that Maryland’s Peace Cross memorial violates the Establishment Clause.
- The Republican tax bill would extend tax benefits to parents of children in parochial schools.