Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- The Ninth Circuit held that a school district in California violated the Establishment Clause by inviting religious leaders to lead prayers during school board meetings.
- Oregon will vote on whether to amend its constitution to discontinue public spending on abortion.
- Planned Parenthood filed a lawsuit over an order by South Carolina’s Governor removing abortion clinics from the state’s Medicaid provider network.
- The Third Circuit held that an order of Roman Catholic nuns could not prevent a natural gas pipeline from being placed on their property under the Religious Freedom Restoration Act because they failed to first object to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Over 100 members of Congress signed an amicus brief filed with the Supreme Court in support of the 40-foot “Peace Cross,” a 90-year-old WWI memorial on public land. The Fourth Circuit recently held the cross violated the Establishment Clause.
- Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the former emeritus archbishop of Washington, D.C., following allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct.
- Vice President Pence touted the Trump Administration’s pro-religious freedom agenda and criticized Turkey, Nicaragua, and others as he addressed the Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom.