Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- A Virginia federal district court held that the Riverside Regional Jail Authority (along with its superintendent and the program chaplain) violated the Establishment Clause when they created the Christian-based Life Learning Program (known as the “God Pod”).
- A New York federal district court refused to grant a preliminary injunction to the Roman Catholic Diocese in its challenge to New York’s COVID-19 cluster action initiative that targets specific zip codes.
- Another lawsuit was filed in New York federal district court by three Hasidic Jewish congregations in Rockland County, New York challenging New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s action initiative targeting COVID-19 hot spots.
- An Indiana federal district court held that a former Catholic school guidance counselor who was fired because of her same-sex marriage may bring a discrimination claim under Title VII.
- A Colorado federal district court granted a preliminary injunction barring enforcement against two churches of portions of Colorado’s COVID-19 restrictions on worship services.
- A Tennessee federal district court struck down Tennessee’s requirement that women seeking an abortion must receive specified information in person and then wait 48 hours before undergoing the procedure.