Here are some important law-and-religion news stories from around the web:
- Alliance Defending Freedom, on behalf of a San Diego church, argued a case in front of a panel of the Ninth Circuit regarding a California law mandating that religious organizations’ health care plans cover elective abortions.
- The Texas Conference of Catholic Bishops asked Governor Greg Abbott to delay or cancel the execution of Rodney Reed, a convicted murderer sentenced to death in 1998 who maintains his innocence.
- A Mormon family was shot and killed by a Mexican cartel, leaving twelve dead.
- Chinese authorities agreed to provide land to a Catholic community to rebuild its church after local authorities demolished it for alleged improper building permits.
- Undercover federal agents arrested an anti-Semitic man who plotted to bomb a historic Colorado synagogue.
- The Oklahoma Supreme Court issued a temporary injunction against the “Unborn Child Protection-from-Dismemberment-Abortion Act,” which bans dilation-and-evacuation abortions after fourteen weeks.